Katherine Petrunia of Our Happy Place shares her ultimate comfort recipe. This potato soup recipe is sure to help you get through the last remnants of winter. With easy step-by-step directions, there's nothing for it except to test it out and let us know how it goes.
5- 6 large potatoes, washed and cut into large chunks (peeling optional based on preference)
3 medium white onions, sliced thin
½ cup butter + 2- 3 tbsp
3 tbsp olive oil
½ bulb garlic, peeled and minced
6 cups whole milk (+ 1- 2 cups more to achieve desired consistency and flavour)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped bacon to garnish
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl toss potato chunks in olive oil until evenly coated.
2) In an oven- safe dish, spread potato chunks evenly in one layer. Bake in oven for 40- 45 minutes, until golden brown.
3) While potatoes are roasting, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Melt ½ cup of butter and reduce heat to low. Add the onion slices and minced garlic and toss in the melted butter.
4) Caramelize until the onions are golden brown and remove from heat.
5) Remove potatoes from oven and mash to an even consistency (they do not have to be completely free of lumps).
6) In a large pot, warm milk over medium heat and add potatoes, onion, and garlic. Stir until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7) Remove half of the soup and pour into a blender; pulse until it has reached a smooth consistency. If you prefer a smooth soup, repeat this step with the remaining half of soup.
8) Add all of the soup back into the large pot and place over medium heat and allow to simmer for 5- 10 minutes. Taste test and add more butter and/ or salt and pepper for flavour.
9)Garnish with chopped bacon bits for garnish and serve immediately, or allow to cool completely and reheat portions as desired.
About Katherine Petrunia is the founder of lifestyle blog Our Happy Place, and a wife and Mom of two little ones. On OHP she shares about everything from recipes and DIY ideas, to home décor and fashion, plus pieces on real life and tips for leading a healthy life full of the things we love.
Find Our Happy Place on social media: